Localhost: e-sports and gaming are just a few blocks away

Maya Williams

If you’re looking for something to do after school, or even just in your free time, you should consider checking out Local- host. Localhost is an Esports internet cafe that allows patrons to rent computers and consoles to use for leisure. One of only five Localhost locations in the U.S. is just around the corner from Franklin Learning Center. Located on 401 North Broad Street, the venue is just a five-minute walk away from school, making gaming ac- accessible to the students of FLC. This venue in particular hosts 124 PC towers and 20 consoles to use per an hourly rate. The rate of renting a PC or console is just $5 for the first hour. The high-end PC towers give users access to Steam, Chrome, Epic Games, and other hosting browsers to make the most of their time at the cafe.

Localhost also offers a “borrow” program through Steam, where users who are renting a PC can play preset games bought by Localhost. Some of these games include Tekken 7, Guilty Gear: Strive, Brawlhalla, and Dead by Daylight.

Localhost also hosts events for specific days of the week. Smash Bros, Splatoon, Valorant, and fighting game events are all hosted at the cafe during the week. Anyone can RSVP to join an event or pay upfront at the time of the event. Many people attend these events to come together with a common interest, as well as friendly competition. If you’re interested in making some connections when it comes to gaming, Localhost may be a place you’d like to stop by.

Not sure if Localhost is for you? You can try it for free! Students get a free hour of playtime anytime after 4 pm. You can also use the FTX app and use promo code NERD to claim a free hour. Members of localhost can also redeem free hours through their rewards program. The more often you spend time at the venue, the more free bonus time you receive to play.

FLC’s ESports club has been using Lo- localhost as a venue for about three months, with club members joining for competitive or casual play after school. A popular game among the FLC ESports club is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and some club members make the short walk over to Localhost to play on a rented console. Noel Campos-Robles, an ESports club member and winner of the 2022 FLC ES- ports Smash Bros Tournament gave his opinion on Localhost. “…it is an amazing place to hang out alone or with friends, the staff are very kind and helpful if you have any problems or questions.” He says. “Also the addition of a free hour for students is a great idea to bring people in for fun.”

Localhost is a cheap and accessible venue for students who are interested in gaming and ESports. If you need some cheap entertainment, or you’re just interested in gaming, check out the venue. It’s right around the corner!