Soccer team kicks into success this year

Boys soccer team lines up to shake the hands of their competitors after the game ends.
Dahslee Hernandez

Franklin Learning Center’s boy’s soccer team, the Bobcats, season started on September 1, 2023, and officially ended in a playoff game on October 23, 2023. The Bobcats ended their season with a 6-2 record.

The Bobcats returned this year continuing a successful season as in previous years. Before the season officially began many players had concerns about their team performance this season since they have not played together since that last season.

“Some people put in a lot of work during the offseason, which I’m very proud of,” said Co-Captain Julio Chacon. “We had to run a lot of drills. We obviously didn’t have a preseason again, which sucks but hopefully next year we do. We practiced a lot, and even though our nets weren’t regular size we made it work. 

The Bobcats at the beginning of their season had to miss games causing their first game to be set back.

“We had a pretty good start to the season except for the fact that the weather got in our way,” said Coach Frank Prohaska. “So we missed out on three games right out of the gate because of cancellations due to heat, which was really annoying. But once we got going, the team played really well.”

After many setbacks to get to their first game of the season, the Bobcats went up against Jules E. Mastbaum Panthers where they won 7-0. 

“The team was looking solid the same as last year so I was a little scared it wouldn’t be a good performance,” said Right Wing Mohamed Khelifa. “But overall, we went into that first game confident, and then we got home with a 7-0 [score]. And then after that, our confidence just went up after that and we just kind of dominated the division.”

Once the Bobcats had competed in various games majority of the time they ended with a win but regardless if they lost a game they kept a winning mentality throughout the team. 

“There were no games that we just completely gave up,” said Prohaska. “Even the couple that we lost, everybody played really hard, and the games were really close. So I think the team’s chemistry was really nice this year.” 

There were many memorable moments made during the 2023-2024 season. Players created a bond with each other, the coach, and team managers both on the field and off the field. One time the players had a surprise planned for their coach after a game.

“One of our games on a Friday happened to fall on my birthday,” said Prohaska. “We won the game pretty handily. But I did tell the team that if they lost the game, I was going to make more runs of 12 laps of practice so I think they were a little more motivated. But you know, they brought a little cheesecake treat [while singing happy birthday] for me for my birthday, which made it kind of fun.” 

Coming towards the end of the season the Bobcats had made it to the first round of the PIT tournament playoffs. The Bobcats played against the Academy at Palumbo Griffins where the game resulted in a loss of 1-0. 

“It was a very tight game, and at no point was Palumbo dominated the game,” said Prohaska. “We had a couple of really close opportunities to score in the system. Palumbo apparently played us last year and beat us 9-1 so you know, for them to only take a one-nothing game where we were holding our own is a huge improvement.”

At the end of the season, the Bobcats were proud of their accomplishments and want to continue to succeed in the next season. 

“I’m extremely proud of our team,” said Prohaska. “I think our team really held on there well. They played with a lot of heart.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Flash
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will help support the student journalists of The Flash FLC. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs.