The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee Runs at FLC

As the year continues, The Franklin Learning Center performing arts majors began to release their performances for the school community to watch and enjoy. One of these shows is FLC’s take on “The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee” in the form of a play. 

What has been showcased is a comedy about a town spelling bee and all the funny things that happen as the children compete. Since May of last year, FLC’s performing arts students have been working hard to formulate this play for its viewers. 

Michelle Frank, an FLC music teacher and the organizer of the play, chose this play because “it was appropriate for the student cast that [she] knew [she] had. It’s a good exercise in comedic timing, and the music is fun and engaging with the audience.” 

As a matter of fact, what’s notable about this play is the casting. Frank said there were a total of three different casts performing at the play.

She explained, “We tried to get as many opportunities as possible for students to get performing experience.”

The process of making this play work was lengthy. As mentioned before, they have been practicing since May of last year. However, it goes beyond that. 

Hilario Rodriguez, a senior stage crew member, mentioned that the cast would watch the original play to get an idea of what to do and what they can do better. 

Rodriguez also explained that organization is also incredibly important on his end, for “preparing the backstage props and cues for the cast.”

Trinity Rosa, a senior who performed in the play, described the process in putting this play together as “nerve-racking, yet fun.” 

Every student and faculty member who has worked on this project has put in their all in crafting an entertaining performance to be viewed by students, faculty, and family. 

Rodriguez gathered his thoughts on the play, saying that “a great feeling of satisfaction follows when you hear the applause for your product.”