Green Thumbs and Crafty Hands: Join our Gardening and Crafting Club

Adwoa Boakye-Yiadom skillfully imparts knowledge of planting and garden care at the gardening club. This club serves as a nurturing platform where students can learn valuable gardening skills under her guidance.
Faty Kebe

FLC has embarked on a unique approach to hands-learning and community engagement with the introduction of gardening and crafting clubs. These clubs are driven by biology and physical science teacher Adwoa Boakye-Yiadom and English three and US three teacher Sigal Felber that are designed to offset student’s practical skills.

The gardening club, under the direction of Boakye-Yiadom, aims to involve students in farming, agriculture and promote healthy lifestyles. One of the club’s projects involves planting in each classroom, taken care of by the club members.

“We’re getting students out of the building, so in the next couple of weeks, we’re going to be going to Carousel House Farms,” She said. “And that’s going to be a field trip where students will learn the basics of gardening and farming.”

Felber at the fun craft club showing students how to knit and crochet every tuesday. The Fun craft club is a place where people who enjoy knitting and crocheting can come and learn.
(Faty Kebe)

These educational trips to Carousel House Farms will expose students to basic farming and gardening skills. Boakye-Yiadom, has ambitious plans for the Gardening Club including harvesting their own plants, fruits and vegetables and utilizing them in their recipes.

“So in the future, my main goal is for us to actually harvest the plants and the fruits and the vegetables that we plant,” Boakye-Yiadom. “And we were able to actually use them in our own recipes and give them out to students and community members and also be involved in organizations outside of the city or in the city. Going to further places.”

The crafting club provides a creative and social platform for students after school. Led by Sigal Felber, the club focuses on teaching knitting and crochet.

The crafting club has evolved into more than just a place to learn to craft skills. It’s also a place for students to socialize and work on projects together. Dayansi, a 10th grade student, shares her excitement about joining the crafting club.

“I chose to join this craft club because I want to learn how to knit,” She said.

Felber wants students to join to teach them the different types of crafting and how crafting can be beneficial.

“So I will teach people how to knit and crochet. It kind of helps them when they have problems, but a lot of people will come with their friends and then come up with something like a project to work on with their friends or just hang out.”

Felber hopes to organize more events for the club to enable students to make money from their crafts and provide a place for others in the school to buy these creations.

”Something that we want to do more of is like craft sales,” said Felber. “We did want it to end up like last year, which a lot of people because they can make money and sell stuff, and then a lot of other people are in the school like, so they could buy things.”